Professor James Catto
Professor Catto is interested in the biology of prostate and bladder cancer, and how knowledge of this biology can improve patient care. These two cancers represent some of the commonest human malignancies and in many patients their care could be improved by better stratification of treatment options, by making an earlier diagnosis and with novel therapies. His lab has worked on the epigenetic aspects of these cancers. His research group have profiled many aspects of epigenetics (including DNA methylation, non-coding RNA expression and mRNA regulation, and histone modifications). They have found that these may drive carcinogenic processes to contribute to treatment resistance and can be used to identify the prognosis in individual cancers. He is also interested in the environmental factors that contribute to the biology of these cancers, and how cells may protect against these stresses.
- Cumberbatch MGK, Cox A, Teare MD, and James W.F. Catto. Contemporary occupational bladder cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA Oncol. 2015 Dec 1;1(9):1282-90
- Blick C, Ramachandran A, McCormick R, Wigfield S, Cranston D, Catto J, Harris AL. Identification of a hypoxia regulated miRNA signature in bladder cancer and a role for miR-145 in hypoxia dependent apoptosis. Br J Cancer. 2015 Aug 11;113(4):634-44
- Drayton RM, Rehman I, Clarke R, Zhao Z, Pang K, Miah S, Stoehr R, Hartmann A, Blizard S, Lavin M, Bryant HE, Martens-Uzunova ES, Jenster G, Hamdy FC, Gardiner RA and Catto JWF. Identification and diagnostic performance for prostate cancer of a small RNA within the PCA3 primary transcript. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Jan;24(1):268-75.
- Liu Y, Noon AP, Cabeza EA, Shen J, Kuk C, Ilczynski C, Huang K, Ni R, Sukhu B, Chan K, Barbosa-Morais NL, Hermanns T, Blencowe BJ, Azad A, van der Kwast TH, Catto JWF, Zlotta AR and Wrana JL. Next generation RNA sequencing of archival formalin fixed paraffin embedded urothelial bladder cancer Eur Urol. 2014 Dec;66(6):982-6
- Peters S, Borkowska E, Drayton RM, Chen W and Catto JWF. Long non-coding RNA expression in bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Oct 15;20(20):5311-21 (Selected as the front cover image)
- Ross M Drayton, Stefan Peter, Katie Myers, Saiful Miah, Ewa Dudziec, Helen E. Bryant and James W.F. Catto. MicroRNA-99a and 100 mediated upregulation of FOXA1 in bladder cancer 2014 Aug 15;5(15):6375-86
- Wang WT, Catto J and Meuth M. Differential response of normal and malignant urothelial cells to CHK1 and ATM inhibitors. 2015 May 28;34(22):2887-96
- J-B Cazier, RS Rao, CM Brideau, BJ Wright, EEM Jaeger, L Marsden, C Yau, The Oxford-Illumina WGS500 Consortium, JW Catto, IPM Tomlinson, Kiltie AE, Hamdy FC. Whole-genome sequencing of bladder cancers reveals somatic CDKN1A mutations and clinicopathological associations with mutation burden. Nat Commun. 2014 Apr 29;5:3756.
- Drayton RM, Bryant HE, Dudziec E, Bertz S, Wilson S, Lehmann J, Stöckle M, Khan K, Hartmann A and Catto JWF. MicroRNA mediated upregulation of SLC7A11 induces to cisplatin resistance in cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2014 Apr 1;20(7):1990-2000
- Noon A, Albertsen PC, Thomas F, Rosario DJ and Catto JWF. Competing mortality in patients diagnosed with bladder cancer: Evidence of under-treatment in the elderly and females. Br J Cancer. 2013 Apr 16;108(7):1534-40
- Thomas F, Noon A, Rubin N, Goepel JR and Catto JWF. Comparative outcomes of primary, recurrent and progressive high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Eur Urol. 2013 Jan;63(1):145-54