Dr Spencer Collis
Dr Collis is a molecular and cellular biologist with nearly 20 years research experience in the area of genome stability; a vital process that prevents the accumulation of potentially pro-mutagenic lesions which can lead to the development and progression of several human disease, in particular, cancer.
The overarching research goal of his laboratory is to identify and functionally characterise novel factors that are important for the maintenance of genomic integrity. Ultimately, the goal of Dr Collis’s laboratory’s research is to establish if such factors may be potential novel anti-cancer targets and/or biomarkers that can be exploited to improve the biological effectiveness of existing chemo- and radio-therapeutic regimes. To achieve these goals he and his group collaborate with a range of scientists and clinicians to maximise the potential therapeutic impact of our basic biological discoveries.
- Myers KN, Barone G, Staples CJ, Howard AE, Beveridge RD, Maslen S, Skehel JM & Collis SJ. The bornavirus-derived human protein EBLN1 promotes efficient cell cycle transit, microtubule organisation and genome stability. Scientific Reports: 6(35548), 2016.
- Staples CJ, Barone G, Myers KN, Ganesh A, Gibbs-Seymour I, Patil AA, Beveridge RD, Daye C, Beniston R, Maslen S, Ahel A, Skehel, JM & Collis SJ. MRNIP/C5orf45 interacts with the MRN complex and contributes to the DNA damage response. Cell Reports; 16(10), 2565-2575, 2016
- Barone G, Staples CJ, Myers KN, Paterson KW, McKenzie EA, Eyers CE, Maslen S, Skehel, JM, Eyers PA* & Collis SJ*. CDK18 promotes replication stress signalling and genome stability. Nucleic Acids Research; 44(18), 8772-8785, 2016. *Co-corresponding authors.
- Johnson CA* & Collis SJ*. Ciliogenesis and the DNA damage response; a stressful relationship..Cilia; 5(19), 2016. *co-corresponding authors
- Beveridge RD, Staples CJ, Patil AA, Myers KN, Maslen S, Skehel JM, Boulton SJ & Collis SJ. The leukaemia-associated Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor LARG is required for efficient replication stress signalling. Cell Cycle 13(21), 3450-3459, 2014.
- Patil AA, Sayal P, Depondt ML, Beveridge RD, Roylance A, Krinlani DH, Myers K, Cox A, Jelinek D, Fernando M, Carroll TA & Collis SJ. FANCD2 re-expression is associated with glioma grade and chemical inhibition of the Fanconi Amaemia pathway sensitises gliomas to chemotherapeutic agent. Oncotarget 5(15) 6414-6424, 2014.
- Staples CJ, Myers KN, Beveridge RD, Patil AA, Howard AE, Barone G, Lee AJX, Swanton C, Howell M, Maslen S, Skehel JM, Boulton SJ & Collis SJ. Ccdc13; a novel human centriolar satellite protein required for ciliogenesis and genome stability. J Cell Sci. 127(13), 2910-2919, 2014.
- Staples CJ, Myers KN, Beveridge RD, Patil AA, Lee AJ, Swanton C, Howell M, Boulton SJ & Collis SJ. The centriolar satellite protein Cep131 is important for genome stability. J Cell Sci. 125(20), 4770-4779, 2012.