Dr Keith Hunter
Dr Hunter is a specialist Academic Histopathologist with a wide interest in head and neck pathology and cancer biology. His main research interest is in the early events in oral carcinogenesis and keratinocyte senescence/immortalisation, particularly the genetic and epigenetic events associated with early invasion. He has ongoing projects investigating patterns of gene expression and genomic alteration in HNSCC, epigenetic control of gene expression and the roles of the inflammatory and other stromal responses in early HNSCC. He also provides specialised histopathology support to a number of projects across the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health, in addition to wider collaborations.
His current projects include:
- The role of HOX genes in HNSCC
- The role of Fanconi Anemia pathway in HNSCC
- MicroRNAs in the development of HNSCC.
- Immunoexpression of HOXB7 and HOXB9 in Salivary gland tumours, Fonseca, Felipe; Bingle, L; Santos-Silva, AR; Lopes, M; Coletta, RD; Andrade, B; Mariano F; Kowalski, L; Rangel, A; Martins, M; Meurer, L; Hunter, K; Speight, P; Vargas, PA. JOPM, 2016 Mar 15. doi: 10.1111/jop.12438
- Platais, Hakami, Darda, Morgan, Lambert and Hunter, KD. The role of HOX genes in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. JOPM. 2015 Dec 14. doi: 10.1111/jop.12388
- Lav Darda, Fahad Hakami, Richard Morgan, Craig Murdoch, Daniel W Lambert, Keith D Hunter. (2015) The role of HOXB9 and miR-196a in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. PLOS ONE, 2015 Apr 10;10(4): e0122285. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0122285.
- Hakami F, Darda L, Stafford P, Woll P, Lambert DW, Hunter KD. The roles of HOXD10 in the development and progression of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC). Br J Cancer. 2014 Jul 10. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2014.372.
- Rauch J, Moran-Jones K, Albrecht V, Schwarzl T, Hunter K, Gires O, Kolch W (2011) c-Myc regulates A-Raf kinase splicing and ERK pathway activation. Cancer Research, 71:4664-4674.
- Alan Roger dos Santos-Silva, Ana Carolina Prado Ribeiro, Ana Maria Pires Soubhia, Carlos R, Speight PM, Hunter KD, Torres-Rendon A, Vargas PA, Lopes MA (2011). High incidences of DNA ploidy abnormalities in tongue squamous cell carcinoma of young patients: An international collaborative study. Histopathology, 58, 1127–1135
- Thurlow JK, Peña Murillo CL, Hunter KD, Buffa FM, Patiar S, Betts G, West CML, Harris AL, Parkinson EK, Harrison PR, Ozanne BW, Partridge M, Kalna G. (2010) Spectral clustering of microarray data elucidates the roles of microenvironment remodelling and immune responses in survival of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jun 10; 28(17):2881-8
- Hunter KD, Thurlow JK, Fleming J, Drake PJ, Vass JK, Kalna G, Higham DJ, Herzyk P, Macdonald DG, Parkinson EK, Harrison PR. (2006) Divergent routes to oral cancer. Cancer Res; 66(15):7405-13.
- Hunter, KD, Parkinson, EK and Harrison, PR (2005). Profiling early head and neck cancer. Nature Rev Cancer, 5, 127-35. Citations: 294;